BLOG POST#1

1. From what you’ve seen of the course so far, and in the course outline, which of the assessment strategies in your reading this week are being used in this course?

From what I have come across and seen in this course so far, and that of the course outline, I can say that a few effective assessment techniques which I have come across in the week’s readings, are being used.

Firstly, the objectives which the course seeks to accomplish are clearly and precisely enumerated at the beginning of the course outline, making we the students/learners know what is expected of us, and prepare and work towards achieving them. This, I think link to what Conrad and Openo (2018) said, “Learning outcomes serve as the roadmap to course content.”

Also, I have seen that the course outline demonstrates that we the learners are provided with different opportunities to submit drafts in the form of “blogs” before turning in our final work. This again also sits well with Conrad & Openo’s opinion that, “Assessment works best when it is ongoing,” that is to say, “Formative Assessment,” (2018). This type of assessment allows students to practice and apply the feedback they get to refine and build upon their work.

In addition, this course is making use of peer assessment, by allowing our colleagues or members of a Learning Pod/Group to engage with each other’s work, (not with the intention to criticize). By going through each other’s work (block reflection) and providing peer reviews, we are actively participating in our own assessment, which portrays self-assessment. According to Conrad & Openo, “Peer assessment encourages students to play a more active role in the assessment of their own learning,” (2018).

2. Which are not being used?

As I have stated earlier above, per my observations and understanding, this course is highly making use of formative assessment, an assessment that focuses on progress during a lesson, unit, or a course, and provides timely, specific, and constructive feedback for both instructors and students to adapt and improve teaching and learning, and NOT summative assessment, which turns to evaluate students’ learning or quality at the end of an instructional period or term by comparing it against a standard or a set benchmark.

Also, Conrad & Openo suggested the use of multiple types of assessments, but I seem to feel that this course/class/online session is only focusing on just one: the interactive learning resources. Service learning, where “Learners leave the classroom and engage in meaningful and authentic work in a community setting, as spoken about by Conrad & Openo, is not being used as well.

3. What Learning Theories (from week 1) do these connect to?

I can relate or connect these assessment strategies to the “Constructivist Learning Theory” from week 1, which emphasizes “Creating meaning from experience” (Ertmer & Newby, 2013). This course makes use of interactive activities, like designing an interactive resource, which makes it possible for students to construct knowledge. Also, reflective exercises and peer collaborations further support this approach by motivating students to actively engage with the material and apply their understanding. Collaborative work also aligns with the cognitivist learning theory as students require complex cognitive skills like “thinking” and “problem-solving,” (Ertmer & Newby, 2013)

4. How does it compare to other courses you’ve taken in your studies?

Comparing the EDCI 335 course to other courses I have already taken, the previous courses also had clear learning objectives/outcomes which gave me a clear understanding and idea of what I will be assessed on. There was collaboration through group discussions, and group work and group presentations, which at the end of each presentation, members present in class were asked to comment and share their thoughts on the presentations (peer assessment). They made use of the major learning theories, but we were mostly allowed to take control of our learning process. Key skills, like problem-solving, critical thinking, monitoring, adaptation among others which are crucial to this course were needed in my previous courses too.

Conrad, D., & Openo, J. (2018a). Assessment strategies for online learning: engagement and authenticity. In Assessment strategies for online learning (1st ed.). Athabasca University Press.

https://doi.org/10.15215/aupress/9781771992329.01

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (2013). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 26(2), 43-71

1. nayeonoh

Hi Constant, I also agree on how the assessment strategies used in this course connect to constructivist and cognitivist learning theories as it allows students to construct knowledge and use problem-solving skills through interactive and reflective learning . I also like how you mention the similarities to your previous course experiences of using key skills such as adaptation among peers which is needed for this course.

2. tianshan

Hi Constant

I agree that EDCI 335 effectively uses formative assessments. The clear objectives at the beginning of the course help us understand what is expected, just as Conrad and Openo (2018) emphasize the importance of learning outcomes. The opportunity to submit drafts in the form of blogs and receive feedback aligns well with the idea that “Assessment works best when it is ongoing.” Peer assessment also encourages active participation in our own learning, reinforcing self-assessment.

However, as you mentioned, the course lacks summative assessments and doesn’t incorporate service learning. While the focus on formative assessment is beneficial, having a variety of assessment types could enhance our learning experience. Overall, the course’s emphasis on constructivist principles, such as creating meaning from experience and encouraging collaboration, is evident and valuable.

3. atalayaanzer1

Hi!

Your blog this week provided a thoughtful analysis of assessment strategies used in EDCI-335. You have demonstrated a clear understanding of formative assessment and how it is applied in the course assignments like blog posts. You have also provided clear references to week 1 & 2’s readings to support your observations demonstrating that you are engaging with course readings and applying your knowledge in your blog post. Your discussion about peer assessment highlights the importance of actively participating in work and applying critiques to future work. You made strong connections to constructivist learning theories, in the future you could consider adding behaviorist learning theories to formative assessment. Exploring how feedback impacts student learning could be expanded by providing examples of how feedback can achieve course objectives.

• ctant59

Hello

Thank you for the feedback, I sincerely appreciate it and will work on what you suggested.

Thank you.